Colorado Mountain Club Seeks Intern for the Hidden Gems Campaign
The Colorado Mountain Club seeks to hire a Conservation Intern to build our advocacy and stewardship programs. The Intern will build a network of non-profit and for-profit organizations across Colorado to support our Hidden Gems Wilderness Campaign (www.whiteriverwild.org) and will guide day hikes into several proposed wilderness areas. The Intern will also work to build our volunteer and leadership capacity for hiking trail construction, maintenance, restoration, invasive weed removal, and tree planting projects around the state, publicizing and coordinating project logistics for approximately 20 trail stewardship projects throughout the summer. The position provides an opportunity to gain experience related to non-profit organizations, outdoor recreation, and conservation advocacy; to grow in understanding of some of Colorado’s most spectacular landscapes; and to interact with a talented team of staff and volunteers.
Assist with a variety of duties including:
- Recruiting individual volunteers, and organizations to our Hidden Gems Campaign coalition, in conjunction with the campaign’s field team;
- Working with the Hidden Gems Wilderness Campaign to develop and implement business recruitment and engagement activities;
- Encouraging activity and commitment of member groups and individuals within the statewide coalition;
- Guiding day-long hiking trips into proposed wilderness areas;
- Assisting the Campaigns Coordinator with turnout for grassroots meetings and events;
- Recruiting and managing volunteers to participate in trail crew projects;
- Communicating project logistics with volunteers, project leaders, and public land managers;
- Developing project information fact sheets;
- Coordinating an end-of-summer celebration/festival;
- Compiling volunteer project accomplishment data;
- Assisting with and attending community outreach events;
- Other tasks as assigned.
This position reports to the Campaigns Coordinator, based in Golden, Colorado.
Status and Stipend
The position is full-time seasonal starting in mid-May and ending in mid-September (4 months). It is based in Golden, CO and reports to the CMC Campaigns Coordinator. It requires occasional travel with a personal vehicle, CMC vehicle or rental vehicle and occasional evening or weekend work. The compensation for this position will be $12/hr.
Applicants should have:
- Degree in the natural sciences, political science, environmental policy, recreation management or related field;
- Working knowledge of public lands issues including wilderness and roadless area protection, and recreational issues such as travel management and recreation ecology;
- Understanding of Colorado organizations working on environmental issues;
- Understanding of trail maintenance and resource restoration strategies;
- Experience working with and organizing volunteers;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Proficiency with computers, including MS Office suite, email, and internet;
- A valid driver’s license & personal vehicle;
- First aid or wilderness medical training preferred;
- Knowledge of Colorado’s mountain ranges a plus.
How to Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references and their contact information to:email@example.com. No phone calls please. Position available until filled, with preference given to applications received by April 15, 2011.
Founded in 1912, the CMC is organized to unite those who cherish, study, and explore the Rocky Mountains, stimulate public interest in the mountains, collect and disseminate information about the mountains on behalf of literature, art, recreation, and science, and protect the ecosystems and landscapes of the Rocky Mountains. The CMC serves a membership of over 7,000, and has a long history in conservation, focusing on protecting the habitats and wildness of the Southern Rockies ecosystem. More information can be found at www.cmc.org
CMC provides equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of race, age, sex, disability, marital status, ethnicity, religion or any other basis protected by law.